Since both of our husband’s are in school and often have late nights at the clinic, studying, or working, Leia and I enjoy getting together and making something to eat. One night I was at her house and we were working on a new cheesecake and while it was cooking all the kids started getting hungry. Ya know, the whining, the crying, the begging for food, and swiping muffins or cookies every time they walked through the kitchen. We decided it was time to make dinner.
Leia had some leftover wonton wrappers from her Buffalo Blasts recipe, some taco meat, and some various toppings. We whipped together these delicious Taco Cups. They kids loved them. We loved them. And they were so fast and easy. We agreed they would make a perfect appetizer at a Holiday party! Something small and bite sized, but jam packed with flavor.
These little taco cups are so versatile with the toppings. You can really add whatever you like the best. We found that jarred nacho cheese queso was pretty amazing. I also prefer just the basic toppings of: lettuce, tomato, and sour cream. It allows the taco meat and cheese flavor to really shine. If you prefer shredded cheese as opposed to jarred cheese, you can use that too. It will actually make the bottom of the taco cups more crispy for longer because it has less moisture than jar cheese. If you want to get fancy, like an extra kick, and are definitely not worried about maintaining crispiness on the bottom, you can add a dollop of rotel tomatoes on the meat, under the cheese, before cooking. Yum!
To recreate this appetizer, it’s pretty easy. First, brown some hamburger. Then add a packet of taco seasoning if you’re in a hurry, or use my from-scratch taco seasoning below. Grease your muffin tins, press one wonton wrapper into each cup, spoon a tablespoon or so of meat into the cup, add a dollop of queso, and pop the pan in the oven. 400 degrees for about 5-10 minutes, or until crispy and golden to your liking. Top with shredded lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, and anything else your heart desires. Bon Appetite!
- 1 pound ground hamburger
- 24 wonton wrappers
- 1 jar Nacho cheese queso dip
- shredded cheese, optional
- ½-3/4 cup lettuce, shredded
- 1 tomato, diced
- ¼-1/2 cup sour cream
- Taco Seasoning:
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp.onion powder
- ½-3/4 tsp.salt
- ½ tsp.cumin
- ¾ cupwater
- Brown the hamburger. Drain off fat and return meat to skillet. Add the taco seasoning spices (chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and cumin), and the water. Bring to a simmer and stir to combine. Let simmer and cook about 5-10 minutes or until meat is juicy and spiced.
- Generously grease 24 muffin cups with oil. Press one wonton wrapper into each cup. Press into the sides and bottom so that the wrapper mostly takes on the shape of the muffin cup.
- Spoon about one tablespoon of meat into each wonton until meat is gone. Spoon a dollop of queso or shredded cheese on top of the meat. Place in a preheated oven at 400 degrees for about 5-10 minutes, or until the edges of the wontons are golden and crispy. Remove from oven.
- Top with desired toppings: shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, sour cream, etc. Serve and enjoy!