Smokey Black Bean & Sweet Potato Chili with fresh limes. It really does taste as delicious as it sounds. When one of my dear friends had surgery a few weeks ago, I offered to bring her dinner. She was a little hesitant since her family is mostly vegetarian and gluten free. Of course I didn’t let that stop me, and I came up with this incredible chili. Yes, I can be a little prideful, and this chili is certainly something I am very proud of!
It’s completely gluten free and vegetarian, based with vegetable broth and diced tomatoes. The black beans add some protein and the sweet potatoes add texture, flavor, and a hint of sweetness. Smoked Paprika and Chipotle Chili Adobo sauce give it an amazing smokiness. Finish it off with fresh squeezed lime and cilantro, and the flavors really pop.
I was quite literally amazed at how well this turned out. So pleased, in fact, that I made it again for our church’s Trunk or Treat and Chili Cook-off. It won 3rd place out of 50 pots of chili! If you’re looking for a chili that appeases to food allergies and sensitivities, without lacking in flavor, try this one out and see what you think.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cans black beans, (15 oz) drained and rinsed
- 1 can diced tomatoes, (14.5 oz) with liquid
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2-2½ cups sweet potatoes, peeled and diced in 1 inch cubes
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp adobo sauce, from chipotle chilis in adobo sauce
- 1 medium fresh lime, juiced (or 1 Tbsp.)
- fresh cilantro, for garnish
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Saute onion, bell pepper, and garlic, in olive oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat for about 3-5 minutes, or until onions turn glossy and the peppers soften.
- Add diced tomatoes, broth, sweet potatoes, and spices. Stir to combine. Add black beans. Stir to combine.
- Bring chili to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for about 20-25 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Add fresh lime juice just before serving. Garnish with fresh cilantro, lime, avocado, sour cream, chips, and/or cheese.