I created this Salsa Verde for the sole purpose of using inside my Cafe Rio Copycat Sweet Pork Burritos. However, it is delicious and works well to use as an enchilada sauce or to simply eat with chips. Whatever you might use salsa for, you can substitute this Salsa Verde.
It’s really fast and easy to throw this together. Just combine everything in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and let simmer until it’s the desired consistency. I like mine a little thinner, so I let it gently simmer for about 15 minutes, but for a thicker sauce, simmer it for up to 45 minutes or even an hour. Cool and refrigerate. Yum!
- 2, 4 oz cans diced green chilies
- 14 oz. salsa verde (Herdez brand is what I use)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15-45 minutes, depending on thickness desired.
- Cool and refrigerate. Serve with chips or as a sauce for any Mexican food.