How about a quick & easy, thirty minute meal, that’s packed with flavor? Marinated Teriyaki Chicken with Pineapple Ginger Rice. Even my picky three year old son loves this chicken! And the rice too, probably because it has pineapple in it. I love when I create food that my toddler will eat. We’re working through all the fun, picky eater, rather play than eat, won’t eat much dinner, stages with him. It can be very frustrating. So when I find something healthy that he eats several portions of, I get pretty excited.
The best way to prepare this meal in under thirty minutes is by following these steps in this order:
1. Defrost chicken breasts in microwave (gasp, I take short cuts. I’m human) if needed. While chicken is defrosting, first put the rice and water in a saucepan and turn on high to bring to boil. Next, prepare the marinade in a container with at least 4 cup capacity.
2. As soon as the rice reaches a boil, reduce heat to low. Remove defrosted chicken and cut into bite size pieces. Dump chicken into marinade and let soak.
3. Wash and slice the vegetables. (rice should be simmering gently, crack the lid if it keeps boiling over)
4. Heat a large skillet or wok pan over med-high heat until pretty hot. Add a tablespoon of coconut (or canola) oil.
5. Saute the veggies for about 5 minutes or until tender crisp (mostly tender with a slight crisp). Remove from heat and set aside. Replace skillet to burner and add the chicken and marinade.
6. Cook chicken in the sauce for about 7-8 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Add veggies and stir to reheat, turn burner off and remove skillet from heat.
7. Add seasoning and pineapple to rice. Serve immediately.
Not too hard, right? Plus I included instructions. Hopefully your family enjoys this quick meal as much as mine does!
- 2 chicken breasts (about 2-2½ cups of bite size pieces)
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar (or rice wine vinegar)
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. ketchup
- 2 tsp. garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup white rice
- ½ cup crushed pineapple
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- ½ cup carrots, diced
- Combine soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, ketchup, garlic, and ginger in a bowl.
- Cut chicken into bite size pieces and place into sauce. Stir to combine and set aside.
- Combine the water and rice into a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until rice is tender and water is absorbed.
- Saute vegetables over medium-high heat until tender crisp, about 5 minutes. (Optional: sprinkle with salt, pepper, and a pinch of ground ginger.) Set aside.
- Using the same skillet, add chicken and sauce and cook for about 7-8 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Add vegetables and stir to combine and heat. Remove from heat.
- Add pineapple, butter, ginger, and salt and pepper to RICE. Stir gently to combine.
- Serve immediately.