So I have to be honest, I am quite tired of having sick kiddos. We have lived in Idaho for 4 weeks now and my kids have been sick 3 different times. If you do that math, that’s being sick almost every week. Not only do I feel bad for my babies in seeing them miserable, I’m tired, worn out, exhausted, and ready to get out of the house and play with some friends. I think we may have to do some major cleaning today to try and disinfect their rooms so these germs don’t keep going around and around.
Despite my kids being sick and my brain overloaded with helping my husband start his business, I’ve managed to keep myself sane by cooking up some new, and old, favorites. One of my favorite dishes is Lasagna. I love how many different variations there can be with Lasagna! I also really love BBQ sauce, so one day I thought, why not BBQ Chicken Lasagna? The result was just as I expected, delicious. It feels like a taste of Summer with the comfort of Winter.
For the bones of this recipe, I use a very simple and easy Lasagna recipe I grew up on. It’s quick to throw together and turns out great every time. All I changed was the sauce. I tossed in some BBQ sauce and used some shredded chicken instead of ground beef or sausage. If you like a stronger BBQ flavor, use more BBQ sauce and less marinara sauce. If you prefer only a hint of BBQ, use more marinara. I’m also not really great at measuring the mozzarella cheese as I’m sprinkling it on, so just add as much cheese as you think would be good. Serve with some yummy bread and a green salad. Enjoy!
- 9 lasagna noodles
- 2 cups marinara or spaghetti sauce of your choice
- 1½-2 cups BBQ sauce
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 16 oz. cottage cheese
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp. dried parsley
- 1½ tsp. dried oregano
- 2 cups chicken, cooked and shredded
- Cook the lasagna noodles according to package directions (usually boil for about 10 minutes)
- While the noodles are cooking, combine the marinara sauce and BBQ sauce. Start with 11/2 cups BBQ sauce and add more as desired (taste as you go!) Set aside.
- Combine the cottage cheese, parmesan cheese, parsley, and oregano in a small bowl. Add a shake of salt and pepper if desired.
- Cover the bottom of a 9x13 pan with a thin layer of sauce. Top with 3 noodles, side by side, the length of the pan. Spoon on ⅓ of the chicken, ⅓ of the sauce, ⅓ of the cottage cheese mixture, and a ⅓ of the mozzarella. Repeat two more times with the remaining noodles and ingredients.
- Top the last layer with a generous amount of cheese and sprinkle some extra parmesan on top if desired.
- Bake in a preheated over at 350 degrees, uncovered, for about 35-45 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and the cheese is golden.