Baked Lemon Chicken.
You brine it. You brush it. You bake it. Easy peasy.
This recipe has turned out good for me pretty much every time I’ve made it. Though I must say, gas ovens are not as efficient as broiling food as electric ovens are. That’s probably my biggest frustration with a gas range. It’s just really hard to get that nice, golden, sear on the outside with a gas broil. I suppose you could toss the chicken onto a hot pan and get a sear that way, but then…you have another dirty pan. And ain’t nobody got time for dat!
One of the tricks to keeping this chicken moist and well flavored is the quick brine before baking. I don’t even really measure the salt and the water. Just dump a sizable amount of salt in a big bowl of water, stir it up, and let the chicken soak for 15-20 minutes. It also helps to keep brushing the chicken every few minutes with the pan drippings while baking to help keep the top moist. Feel free to skip that step but I can’t guarantee what your results will be.
Even if your chicken turns out a little dry, heaven forbid!, the flavor will still be amazing. This is also really good sliced up the next day on top of a salad.
Not that I really do that around here because, well, kids.
And lunch is hard for me. But for those of you who are really good salad for lunch makers and eaters, this chicken is great for that! Also, as soon as I get my hands on a pressure cooker I’m going to try this recipe and see if I can simplify my life even more!
Now, please excuse me while I go eat some cookie dough…. #whyiamnotskinny
- 4 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. Italian seasonings (dried)
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- ¼ cup salt
- 4 cups water
- Mix the salt and water together in a large bowl and add chicken breasts. Let chicken soak in the brine for about 15-20 minutes. Remove and pat dry with paper towels.
- Combine garlic, butter, lemon juice, and Italian seasonings in a small bowl. Pour butter mixture into a 9 x 13 pan. Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place chicken breasts on top of butter mixture in pan. Brush or spoon mixture over the chicken.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper evenly over chicken.
- Place into a preheated oven.
- Bake for 5 minutes, brush with butter mixture in pan. Return to oven. Bake 5 minute again, brush again, return to oven. Bake 5 minutes again, brush again, return to oven. Bake 3-5 minutes more, or until chicken is cooked through or between 160-170 degrees internally. Optional: You can broil for 3-5 minutes to finish raising temperature and get a nice sear on the outside.
- Total cook time is between 18-25 minutes. Chicken should be 160-170 degrees Farenheit internally.
- Remove chicken from pan, place on a plate or clean serving dish, cover, and let rest 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Optional: add sliced lemons on top of chicken for last 3 minutes. Garnish with sliced lemons.